Poor python and/or Zope performance on Sparc

joa2212 joa2212 at yahoo.de
Sat Nov 3 13:06:12 EDT 2007

On 3 Nov., 17:19, George Sakkis <george.sak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 3, 9:35 am, joa2212 <joa2... at yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> > Result: Almost even worse. The application is not scaling at all.
> > Every time you start a request it is hanging around on one cpu and is
> > devouring it at about 90-100% load. The other 31 CPUs which are shown
> > in "mpstat" are bored at 0% load.
>
> You are probably not aware of Python's Global Interpeter Lock:http://docs.python.org/api/threads.html.
>
> George

Hi George,

yes, that's right. I wasn't aware of this. If I understand you
correctly then we have a problem of implementing threads in the
software we are using. But tell me one thing: Why does this software
almost runs like a fool on an Intel machine with a single cpu (perhaps
dual core?) and slow like a snail when it runs on Sparc? It's exactly
the same source code on both platforms. Certainly all relevant
packages (python + zope) were recompiled on the sparc.

Sorry for my questions, I'm really no software developer. I'm just a
little bit helpless because my software vendor can't tell my anything
about by concerns.

Joe.