python at command prompt

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 15:24:15 EDT 2007

On Nov 1, 1:23 pm, Tim Chase <python.l... at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> >> [1]http://www.imladris.com/Scripts/PythonForWindows.html
>
> > I set the pythonpath to where the python interpreter is located C:
> > \Python24
> > However I still get the same error message. Is there something else
> > that must be configured?
>
> Make sure you're setting your PATH, not your PYTHONPATH variable.
>
>  From your command-prompt, issue
>
>    c:\test\> path
>
> to see what your current path is.  You _should_ see your
> python2.x\bin folder in there.  If not, are you re-using the same
> command-prompt window?  I vaguely remember that it requires you
> to close the cmd window and open a new one to pick up the new
> environment-variable changes.
>
> Alternatively, if you don't want to lose history in that
> particular window, you can update your path for that particular
> window using
>
>    c:\test\> set path=%PATH%;c:\progra~1\python2.4\bin
>
> or whatever your path is.
>
> -tkc

And if you don't want to do it via the command line, you can right-
click My Computer, choose Properties, click the Advanced Tab and then
hit the Environmental Variables (or just press the Windows Key and
Pause/Break). Anyway, you'll see 2 boxes. Choose the lower one labeled
"System Variables", double-click the Variable labeled "path" and then
just add the path to your Python folder (make sure to separate it from
the one before it with a semi-colon.

For me, it would be something like C:\Python24

Mike