Extended date and time

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Nov 11 18:22:54 EST 2007

On Nov 11, 2:37 am, Jeremy Sanders <jeremy
+complangpyt... at jeremysanders.net> wrote:
> Hi - I need to add support to a program for dates and times. The built-in
> Python library seems to be okay for many purposes, but what I would like
> would be Unix epoch style times (seconds relative to some date), covering a
> large period from the past to the future. What would be nice would be a
> library which can take floating point seconds from an epoch.
>
> Does anyone know of a library which can convert from human style dates and
> times to a floating point epoch and back again? I expect I could fudge the
> fractional seconds with the built-in library, but I can't see how to get
> dates in the past.

What does "dates in the past" mean?? Please be more specific about the
earliest date that you want to be able to handle. Python's datetime
starts at 0001-01-01. Somebody mentioned the time module, which is
implementation-dependent but typically starts at 1970-01-01 .

What functionality do you need, other than two-way conversion between
days_since_epoch and (proleptic Gregorian) date/time?