Installing Python 3000

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:16:15 EST 2007

On Nov 26, 6:18 pm, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > I'd like to install Python 3000 on my computers (Mac, and possibly
> > Windows), without messing up the existing versions.  So far, I've
> > always relied on using ".msi" on Windows and ".dmg" on the Mac.
>
> > From the Python site, I read (different version, but still...):
> > ----
> > Unpack the archive with tar -zxvf Python-2.4.4.tgz ... Change to the
> > Python-2.4.4 directory and run the "./configure", "make", "make
> > install" commands to compile and install Python.
> > ----
> > The step that gets me worried is the "make install" one... I don't
> > want it to take over as default.  I would like to be able to invoke it
> > by typing "python3k ..." from anywhere and have it work - while still
> > having "python" invoke the default 2.5 version.
>
> I recommend that you then do use the prebuilt binaries, at least
> where available, i.e.
>
> http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/
>
> For OSX, I recommend to use a different --prefix for installing,
> e.g. /usr/local/py3k. All files then go into that directory, and
> nothing else lives in it. To invoke it, you give
> /usr/local/py3k/bin/python; if you want to make a python3k link someone
> in your path - that would be your choice.

I tried this but, unfortunately, the "configure" command fails.
Here's what appears to be the relevant info from config.log:
=======================
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
| #define _NETBSD_SOURCE 1
| #define __BSD_VISIBLE 1
| #define _BSD_SOURCE 1
| #define _BSD_TYPES 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2647: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
============================
This is on a Macbook with Leopard installed.

I tried compiling a simple c program (hello world), something that I
have not done in *years* and it failed.  It appears as though gcc has
a problem  :-(

I can create an object file  (via gcc -c hello.c) but not an
executable...

====
andre-roberges-computer:Downloads andre$ gcc -o hello hello.c
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../
libSystem.dylib unknown flags (type) of section 6
(__TEXT,__dof_plockstat) in load command 0
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
======

Any help would be appreciated!

André