Using python as primary language

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 12:11:50 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 4:32 am, Michel Albert <exh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 8:55 pm, kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
>

> > On Nov 8, 1:52 am, Michel Albert <exh... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > In our company we are looking for one language to be used as default
> > > language. So far Python looks like a good choice (slacking behind
> > > Java). A few requirements that the language should be able cope with
> > > are:
>
> > > * Database access to Sybase.
> > >   This seems to be available for python, but the windows-binaries for
> > > the library
> > >   are not available. Self-Compiling them proved to be non-trivial (As
> > > always
> > >   on windows).
> > > * Easy GUI creation.
> > >   Solved using PyQt.
> > > * Cross Platform (Linux + Windows).
> > >   Again, PyQt, solves this
> > > * Easy deployment.
> > >   Solved using py2exe + innosetup
> > > * Charting (Histograms, Line charts, bar charts, pie charts, ...)
> > >   I am currently looking into PyQwt, which looks promising.
> > > * Report generation with GUI support
> > >   reportlab + rml?
>
> > > So far, nearly all point seems to be manageable. But I was not yet
> > > able to find a solution for the report generation. What we would like
> > > to have is a sort of GUI interface to prepare the reports without
> > > having to "code" the positioning. I found reportlab, and it looks like
> > > it can do all that is needed in terms of output. But you still have to
> > > code the report. And this is a no go. In context, I found RML and saw
> > > links to graphical RML editors. But I have not yet found a concrete
> > > example code, or documentation. What am I missing? Is RML a reportlab
> > > creation or is it a recognised open standard? If not, is there an open
> > > standard, that is easily to process with python?
>
> > > Any pointers? I would prefer coding Python to coding Java or
> > > worse..... VB ;) which is another contender in our roundup.
>
> > It looks like RML (Reportlab Markup Language) is a type of XML to me.
> > It also appears to be a ReportLab invention. Lots of code examples can
> > be found here:
>
> >http://developer.reportlab.com/examples.html
>
> > See also:http://www.reportlab.com/rml_index.html
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "editing" a report. I have an
> > application that allows users to enter data into a GUI and then it
> > takes their data and inputs it into a ReportLab generated PDF.
>
> > Mike
>
> What I meant was that one should be able to "draw" a report template.
> Basically a graphical user interface for RML in this case. I
> personally would opt for writing RML or whatever code myself. But it's
> impossible to convice my boss. The dialog usually goes like this:
>
> "So, did you find a click-and-play editor for reports" - "Not yet, but
> anyway, writing code is more flexible and easier to manage later on" -
> "Hmmm... but it's code!" - "Sure, but you only write it once for one
> report, you can easily re-use code-snippets, modifying the code does
> [...]

wxPython has multiple "designers", like Boa and SPE...but as for a way
to "draw a report", I think you're stuck with something like VBA in an
Office application or the "holy grail" of report generators, Crystal
Reports. Personally speaking, I find Crystal to be more difficult to
use than coding it myself. To each their own, I suppose.

Mike