Is pyparsing really a recursive descent parser?

asdfjehqwjerhqjwljekrh tutufan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:27:06 EST 2007

On Nov 2, 6:47 am, Paul McGuire <pt... at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Well I'll be darned!  All this time, I thought "recursive descent"
> described the recursive behavior of the parser, which pyparsing
> definitely has.  I never knew that backing up in the face of parse
> mismatches was a required part of the picture.

I looked at pyparsing about a year ago for some project and realized
that it wouldn't quite do what I needed it to.  Maddeningly enough, I
cannot remember exactly what the problem was, but I think that it was
some combination of lack of backtracking and insufficient control over
whitespace skipping.

Mostly off-topic, what I could *really* use is something like this
folded into the Python standard library.  I cannot count the number of
times that this would have saved me 30 lines of code.

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/047042.html

Mike