How do I get the PC's Processor speed?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 15:12:11 EST 2007

On Nov 6, 1:35 pm, "Chris Mellon" <arka... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2007 1:18 PM,  <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > We use a script here at work that runs whenever someone logs into
> > their machine that logs various bits of information to a database. One
> > of those bits is the CPU's model and speed. While this works in 95% of
> > the time, we have some fringe cases where the only thing returned is
> > the processor name. We use this data to help us decide which PCs need
> > to be updated, so it would be nice to have the processor speed in all
> > cases.
>
> > Currently, this script is run on Windows boxes only, most of which
> > have Windows XP on them. Right now I am having Python check the
> > following registry key for the CPU info: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\
> > \DESCRIPTION\\System\\CentralProcessor\\0
>
> > I've also used Tim Golden's WMI module like so:
>
> > <code>
>
> > import wmi
> > c = wmi.WMI()
> > for i in c.Win32_Processor ():
> >     cputype = i.Name
>
> > </code>
>
> > On the problem PCs, both of these methods give me the same information
> > (i.e. only the processor name). However, if I go to "System
> > Properties" and look at the "General" tab, it lists the CPU name and
> > processor speed. Does anyone else know of another way to get at this
> > information?
>
> You'd want the MaxClockSpeed property. There's a few other clock speed
> properties as well, seehttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394373.aspx.
>
> MSDN should always be your first stop with WMI questions, by the way.

That's true, but I didn't just use WMI to try to get this information.
I also looked in the registry...although I forgot to mention that I
used the _winreg module to do so.

I did see that when I looked at Microsoft's Python scripts here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/python/pyindex.mspx?mfr=true

MaxClockSpeed doesn't report the speed the same way MS does in the
System Properties, but I suppose I can work around that. Although this
will make AMD 3800+ procs look much slower (i.e. 2.4 Ghz in this
case).

Mike