Fwd: Sorting Countries by Region

patrick.waldo at gmail.com patrick.waldo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 06:34:43 EST 2007

This is how I solved it last night in my inefficient sort of way and
after re-reading some of my Python books on dictionaries.  So far this
gets the job done.  However, I'd like to test if there are any
countries in the excel input that are not represented, ie the input is
all the information I have and the dictionary functions as the
information I expect.  What I did worked yesterday, but doesn't work
anymore more...see comment

Otherwise I tried doing this:

for i, country in countries_list:
    if country in REGIONS_COUNTRIES['European Union']:
        matrix.write(i+2, 1, country)
but I got "ValueError: too many values to unpack"

Again, this has been a great help.  Any ideas of how I can make this a
bit more efficient, as I'm dealing with 5 regions and numerous
countries, would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the code:

#keeping all the countries short
REGIONS_COUNTRIES = {'European Union':["Austria","Belgium"," "France",
"Germany", "Greece"],\
                     'North America':["Canada", "United States"]}

path_file = "c:\\1\\build\\data\\matrix2\\Update_oct07a.xls"

book = xlrd.open_workbook(path_file)
Counts = book.sheet_by_index(1)
wb=pyExcelerator.Workbook()
matrix = wb.add_sheet("matrix")

countries = Counts.col_values(0,start_rowx=1, end_rowx=None)
countries_list = list(set(countries))
countries_list.sort()

#This seems to not work today and I don't know why
#for country in countries_list:
#    if country not in REGIONS_COUNTRIES['European Union'] or not in
REGIONS_COUNTRIES['North America']:
#        print "%s is not in the expected list", country

#This sorts well
n=2
for country in countries_list:
    if country in REGIONS_COUNTRIES['European Union']:
        matrix.write(n, 1, country)
        n=n+1
for country in countries_list:
    if country in REGIONS_COUNTRIES['North America']:
        matrix.write(n, 1, country)
        n=n+1

wb.save('c:\\1\\matrix.xls')