AOP and pep 246

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 01:20:02 EDT 2007

On Nov 3, 12:17 am, "Rustom Mody" <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> My own feeling: Python is more AOP ready than java. So lighter-weight
> techniques like Michele's decorator should go further.  But
> methodology not yet formulated.

To clarify: my view is that lightweight techniques are enough and
that a general methodology (in the sense of AspectJ) should NOT be
formulated. Not everything should be formalized, give powerful
enough tools to the programmer and let her do her work.
The fundamental flaw underlying AspectJ is the ambition
to put together a monster intended for all uses and purposes.
I could cite some relevant aphorisms, such as "Don't give a man
a fish: teach him to fish" or "Programming languages should be
designed not by piling feature on top of feature, but by removing
the weaknesses and restrictions that make additional features
appear necessary" (Clinger).

       Michele Simionato