Transfer socket connection between programs

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Nov 12 14:50:59 EST 2007

On 2007-11-12, JamesHoward <James.w.Howard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know any method to have one program, acting as a
> server transfer a socket connection to another program?

The only way I know of is to use fork.  When you fork a
process, all open file-descriptors (including network
connections) are inherited by the child.

> I looked into transferring the connection via xml rpc to no
> avail.

I've no idea how that could work (even in theory) on any OS
with which I'm familiar.

> It seems to be a problem of getting access to a programs
> private memory space and giving another program access to that
> space.

Private memory has nothing to do with it.  The connection is a
data structure that lives in kernel space, not in user space.
Even if you could grant another process access to your "private
memory space", it wouldn't help you "transfer a socket
connection", since that connection is something the OSes
manages.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! !  Everybody out of
                                  at               the GENETIC POOL!