IDLE

Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 18:44:05 EDT 2007

I've been programming in python for a few years using XEmacs on
Solaris and Linux. I've been thinking about trying IDLE for a long
time, but either it wasn't available on my system or I procrastinated.
I finally have it available, and I gave it a try.

I immediately encountered a basic problem for which I could not find a
solution in the intro docs. I want to run a script in one directory
that reads input from a file in another directory. Maybe I'm just not
very smart, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Will someone
please give me a clue?

More generally, I don't see much discussion of IDLE on this newsgroup.
Are many python programmers using it? I see that some of the intro and
tutorial docs have not been updated for several years. Is IDLE still
actively supported? Or would I be better off just going directly to a
commercially supported IDE such as Wing? Thanks.