Override method name and original method access

Donn Ingle donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:41:47 EST 2007

In an unusual twist of code I have a subclass which overrides a method but
it also needs to call the original method:

class One:
 def add (self, stuff):
  self.stuff.append(stuff)

class Two(One):
 def __init__(self, otherstuff):
  <MYSTERY>(otherstuff) #otherstuff must go into list within the parent.
 #The override - totally different function in this context.
 def add (self, data):
  self.unrelated.append (data)

For:
<MYSTERY>
I have tried:
 self.One.add( otherstuff )
No go.
 super ( Two, self).add( otherstuff )
Gives this error:TypeError: super() argument 1 must be type, not classobj
(Which reminds me, how the heck does super work? I always get that error!)

I could just change the method name to adddata() or something. I could pass
parent references around, but want to avoid that.

I thought I'd ask about it here.

\d