MP3 and ID3 library/module recommendations

Basilisk96 basilisk96 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 12:11:22 EDT 2007

I use PyMedia and mutagen.

I've found PyMedia to be excellent for creating custom mp3 files from
line input and performing frequency/energy analysis. I can't say that
I've tried to convert other audio formats to MP3 with it, but I'm sure
it's possible.  I was able to get a working binary of v1.3.7.3 for
win32 and python 2.5 directly from the author, since I have no way to
compile it from the source that's posted on the project website. If
you need it, let me know.

On the other hand, mutagen is a good lightweight utility for
extracting and modifying all kinds of audio metadata. On mp3's, that
includes track duration, all ID3 info, bitrate, sample rate, etc. It
provides an easy dictionary-like interface. It supports a number of
audio formats, but I don't believe it has conversion capability.

Cheers,
-Basilisk96