Questions on Using Python to Teach Data Structures and Algorithms

Thu Nov 8 22:36:23 EST 2007

Wayne Brehaut wrote:
> For learning DSA it's more important to have a clear, well-written and
> well-documented implementation in a language of interest (again,
> especially, the core language in one's programs) than just "using" or
> even inspecting and trying to learn subtle details of some particular
> implementation of a related DS or A in some "other" language.
>
> How many of those who devleoped and improved  the very efficient data
> structures in Python learned and honed their skills in Python (vs. C
> or Pascal, for example)?

True, but these days I build my data structures first in Python to
measure their effectiveness, and (sometimes) cast them into C concrete
once I know the winner.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org