Poor python and/or Zope performance on Sparc

pythoncurious at gmail.com pythoncurious at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:53:58 EST 2007

On Nov 3, 2:35 pm, joa2212 <joa2... at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Result: Almost even worse. The application is not scaling at all.
> Every time you start a request it is hanging around on one cpu and is
> devouring it at about 90-100% load. The other 31 CPUs which are shown
> in "mpstat" are bored at 0% load.

Like others already pointed out: Performance is going to suffer if
you
run something that's single-threaded on a T1000.

We've been using the T1000 for a while (but not for python) and it's
actually really fast. The performance is way better than the 8 cores
imply. In fact, it'll do work that's not too far from 32 times the
work
of a single thread.

Of course, it all depends on what your application is like, but try
experimenting a bit with parallelism. Try changing from 4 up to 64
parallel
working processes to see what kind of effects you'll get.

I'm guessing that whatever caching of persistent data you can do will
be a good thing as well as the disk might end up working really hard.