pygresql

JD jsmcgd at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 4 10:45:07 EST 2007

Hi there.

I'm trying to use python with postgresql. I decided to use psycopg to
interact with the postgresql server.  When installing psycopg it
appeared that I needed mxDateTime. So I decided to install the mxbase
package.

I received the following error message (the interesting bit seems to
be at the end):

james at ubuntu-server:/var/lib/postgresql/mxbase$ sudo python setup.py
install
running install
running build
running mx_autoconf
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-
prototypes -fPIC -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -
c _configtest.c -o _configtest.o
_configtest.c: In function 'main':
_configtest.c:4: warning: statement with no effect
gcc -pthread _configtest.o -L/usr/local/lib -o _configtest
success!
removing: _configtest.c _configtest.o _configtest
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-
prototypes -fPIC -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -I/usr/include/python2.5 -I/usr/local/
include -I/usr/include -c _configtest.c -o _configtest.o
success!
removing: _configtest.c _configtest.o
macros to define: [('HAVE_STRPTIME', '1')]
macros to undefine: []
running build_ext

building extension "mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime" (required)
building 'mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-
prototypes -fPIC -DUSE_FAST_GETCURRENTTIME -DHAVE_STRPTIME=1 -Imx/
DateTime/mxDateTime -I/usr/include/python2.5 -I/usr/local/include -I/
usr/include -c mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.c -o build/temp.linux-
i686-2.5_ucs4/mx-DateTime-mxDateTime-mxDateTime/mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/
mxDateTime.o
gcc: mx/DateTime/mxDateTime/mxDateTime.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files

I googled "error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1" and
interestingly a lot of the results seemed to be linked with python. I
can confirm that I do have gcc installed. One post seemed to suggest
that I may be using too new a version of gcc. Do you think this is the
problem or am I going astray somewhere else?

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance,
James.