marshal vs pickle

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:12:50 EDT 2007

On Oct 31, 6:10 pm, Raymond Hettinger <pyt... at rcn.com> wrote:
> On Oct 31, 12:27 pm, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Makes more sense to use cPickle and be done with it.
>
> FWIW, I've updated the docs to be absolutely clear on the subject:
>
> '''
> This is not a general "persistence" module.  For general persistence
> and...

Alright already.  Here is the patched file you want

http://nucular.sourceforge.net/kisstree_pickle.py

This will make all your nucular indices portable across python
versions and machine architectures.  I'll add this to the
next release with a bunch of other stuff too.

By the way there is another module that uses marshal for
strictly temporary storage in http://nucular.sourceforge.net
-- but if I change that one the build time for nucular indices
fully DOUBLES!!  That's too much pain for me.  Sorry.

Also, it's always been a mystery to me why Python can't
keep the marshal module backwards compatible and portable.
You folks seem like pretty smart programmers to me.  If
you need help, let me know.  It's a damn shame Python doesn't
have a serialization module with the safety, speed, and
simplicity of marshal and also the portability of pickle.
I guess I have to live with it :(.
  -- Aaron Watters

===
Wow, do you play basketball?