the annoying, verbose self

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Nov 22 14:43:41 EST 2007

Colin J. Williams a écrit :
> bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
>
>> Alexy:
>>
>>> Sometimes I
>>> avoid OO just not to deal with its verbosity.  In fact, I try to use
>>> Ruby anywhere speed is not crucial especially for @ prefix is better-
>>> looking than self.
>>

>> Ruby speed will increase, don't worry, as more people will use it.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>

> I don't see this as a big deal, but suppose that the syntax were
> expanded so that, in a method, a dot ".", as a precursor to an identifier,
> was treated as "self." is currently treated?

<dead-horse-beaten-to-hell-and-back>

Python's "methods" are thin wrapper around functions, created at lookup
time (by the __get__ method of the function type). What you define in a
class statement are plain functions, period. So there's just no way to
do what you're suggesting.

</dead-horse-beaten-to-hell-and-back>