PIL + show() + Vista

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Nov 30 06:06:55 EST 2007

Méta-MCI (MVP) wrote:
> Hi, Tim!
>
> You are right, for  shimgvw.dll  (on XP / 2000, or some Vista). But
> others Vista (ou users practice) had associate  images with
> WindowsPhotoGallery.exe.
>
> But  shimgvw.dll already exist.
>
> I found that this line:
>
>         command = 'start "%s" /wait %s\\System32\\rundll32.exe
> %s\\System32\\shimgvw.dll ImageView_Fullscreen %s && del /f "%s" ' %
> (title,os.environ['SYSTEMROOT'],os.environ['SYSTEMROOT'],file,file)
>
> launch a "Photo Gallery" who respect the WAIT.
>
> For me (and my users), it's a solution.  Perhaps others PIL's users can
> read that with interest.

I'm glad you found a solution. I think my point was that
you can use the FindExecutable API to determine whatever
is associated and use that (special-casing the shimgvw DLL
to use RunDLL). Obviously, if that executable doesn't
honour the wait then you're stuck, so maybe using shimgvw
universally is the solution.

TJG