Trouble building pywin32 with Visual Studio 2005

danfike at gmail.com danfike at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:39:09 EST 2007

> > In order to test this theory (and potentially fix it), I want to re-
> > build the pywin32 stuff using Visual Studio 2005.
>
> That might not be sufficient. You have to rebuild Python itself as well.

Either I misunderstand, or you do. If it wasn't clear, I have already
rebuilt Python using Visual Studio 2005.

> > The logical conclusion to jump to from this error message is that
> > pywin32 is trying to build with VS2005, but it thinks that Python was
> > built with VS2003. Well, in a manner of speaking, that is true. I did
> > have a regular Python installation in C:\Python25, straight from one
> > of the MSI installers. That regular Python installation was
> > undoubtedly compiled with VS2003. I guess what I need to do is find a
> > way to replace the default installation, or certain files within it,
> > with stuff I compiled myself using VS2005. I tried replacing all of
> > the python25[_d].dll and python[w][_d].exe files with those that I
> > built, and that isn't helping.
>
> That is likely to happen. distutils doesn't actually *check* what CRT
> or VC version Python was built with, instead, it *knows*, hardcoded.

Oof. Fair enough.

> If you know what you are doing, you can override the logic of distutils.
> Set up an SDK environment (with LIBRARY, INCLUDE and everything), then
> also set the MSSdk environment variable (which should get set if you
> use the standard environment batch file from the SDK), and then also
> set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK. Then distutils will trust that the environment
> you set up works correctly, and will use it without further questioning.

I'll see if I can get that working. During my internet searches, I
came across a mail/post/blog or two indicating DISTUTILS_USE_SDK does
not work in Visual Studio 2005. I'll see what I can do.