What is python?????

rzed rzantow at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:04:21 EST 2007

James Stroud <jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu> wrote in
news:Uie0j.21360$Pv2.5711 at newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

> You're having a conversation with a spambot.

Actually, my intent was to address the question that was asked.
Much of the genuine conversation in the group really does intermix
the various senses of "Python", sometimes in ways that confuse the
issues actually being discussed. People ask for changes to the
language syntax when what they are really after can be addressed
by additions or changes to libraries. Or they believe Python
should have such-and-such a feature when the feature is available
through external packages. Or their suggested changes to
accommodate their desired feature would require fundamental and
incompatible changes to the compiler.

The way I think of the language Python is as a clean, small
enabler of functionality. The prepackaged Python distro supplies
some of that functionality (the included batteries), and the
environment Python makes far more available. Under that view,
changes to the language should be the sort that allow the
functionality to proceed cleanly. That is, there should be a
Pythonic way to approach databases, windowing, interprocess
communication and so on. The packages that perform the function
should be interchangeable as far as the language is concerned. I
don't believe everyone here would agree with this view, possibly.

Regardless of the origin of the question, though, it is one worth
discussing, which is why I responded to the post. Do we all really
have the same view of what Python actually is? Or what it could
be?

--
rzed