How to import xplt, pylab?

J. Clifford Dyer jcd at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Nov 22 18:17:16 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:00:00PM -0800, Caren Balea wrote regarding How to import xplt, pylab?:

> Hello,
>
> I'm newbie to python.
>
> So far, I'm a bit disappointed. It's awful to set Python up to work.
> It's not working!!!
>
> Ok, calm down. Here are my settings:
> I'm using Windows XP machine and have installed
> Python 2.5.1.
> Also, I have also installed something called "Cygwin" to type
> in my commands.
> Finally, I have installed scipy-0.6.0.
>
> After starting Cygin I type
>
> python
> import math
> import scipy
> Then I try
>
> import xplt
>
> and get the message
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named xplt

xplt is a module within scipy, so it will not be available at the top level.  However, all you need to do is

py>>> from scipy.sandbox import xplt

or

py>>> import scipy.sandbox.xplt

The advantage of the former is that you can just use the names xplt.*, while with the latter you have to type scipy.sandbox.xplt.*.

> Also I try
>
> import pylab
>
> and get the message
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named pylab

I haven't worked with pylab, but it looks like you may need another install (matplotlib?)  I'm not sure.  I just did a quick google search.

> So, how can I use xplt and pylab???!!!!
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!!!
>
> Thank you,
> Caren