Witch editor to use!

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Nov 30 14:50:35 EST 2007

SMALLp <pofuk at email.t-com.hr> writes:

> Shoul I use some of editors like boa, spe or shoud i use my favorite
> text editor!

Any text editor will, in a minimal way, do the job, so there's nothing
to enforce "should". But since it seems you're asking for opinions:

A text editor is an indispensible tool for a programmer, and it needs
to be used very frequently, to the point of being able to use it
without conscious interruption of thought to figure out how to do
something.

I think you should learn one powerful general-purpose extensible
cross-platform popular free-software text editor, learn to use it well
over time, and use that for as much of your text editing as possible.

It seems ludicrous to me that people choose editors that are any of:

  * too simple (can't increase expressiveness as you grow in
    competence using it)

  * too narrow-focus (can't leverage the investment of learning that
    tool by using it for every text editing task)

  * exclude a major operating system (can't leverage the leraning
    investment when moving to a new platform)

  * too little community base (can't take advantage of a user
    community sharing improvements and features)

  * not free software (can't install it with impunity on any
    workstation one finds oneself needing an editor, and can't be
    confident the software will continue to be available for as long
    as users want it available)

> And if editor is bether choice witch one to use!

The two main choices that meet the criteria above are Vim and Emacs.
In my opinion, either is a good choice.

--
 \       "I got food poisoning today. I don't know when I'll use it."  |
  `\                                                  -- Steven Wright |