Looking for a good Python environment

jwelby julius.welby at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 04:21:13 EST 2007

On Nov 7, 12:42 pm, "Colin J. Williams" <c... at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> jwelby wrote:
>
> > I currently use Python Scripter as a lightweight editor for Windows.
>
> Could you elaborate on "lightweight"
> please? I find PyScripter to be a
> powerful editor/debugger combination.
>
> What functionality does Eclipse have
> that PyScripter does not?
>
> Colin W.

This is a fair question. I didn't phrase my post too well.

I find PyScripter does pretty much everything I need in terms of doing
actual development for Python. My use of 'lightweight' is by no means
a criticism of PyScripter - it's more of a compliment, as it refers to
the relatively modest demands that it makes on my system compared with
Eclipse, which can be hog.

The main reason I have used Eclipse for larger, team based, projects
is for the source control plug-ins. Eclipse has plug-in support for
cvs and svn. PyScripter may have this too - perhaps I've missed it.
(I'm away from my Windows box at the moment, otherwise I would check).
Of course, there are other ways to implement source control without it
needing to be integrated in the IDE, so even this need not put off
anyone who wants to use PyScripter with source control.

Summary - unless you need the added flexibility offered by Eclipse
plug-ins, PyScripter is a great tool for developing with Python on
Windows.