Modeling (Re: Pythonic ORM with support for composite primary/foreign keys?)

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Fri Nov 9 04:48:13 EST 2007

Hello,

thanks for the hints towards Elixir and Storm.

In fact I would have loved to use Modeling
(http://modeling.sourceforge.net/), as it seems to fulfil all my
requirements perfectly so far, except the one with the composite keys.
In particular I like its proximity to EOF (R.I.P.) concerning the basic
concepts and the notification service. I would like the notification
service even more if it was possible to send notifications directly
from PostgreSQL. ;-) Well, maybe that would even be possible using
PL/Python... :-?

Modeling imho is especially well documented and at a first glance the
sourcecode seems to be quite comprehensible even to me (unlike
SQLAlchemy :-( ). The author has stated that composite keys were
foreseen to be implemented and that the code was already written
considering this feature.

So I'll maybe even try to "hack" it until it works for my schema, with
(hopefully) some spoonfeeding by the original author. But in case my
skills aren't enough to actually make it work, I need a fallback
option.

Maybe someone could even convince someone else >;-> to implement a
"plug-in" for Gaphor (or for MetaEdit) for Modeling, so that one could
generate (and round-trip) nice "colorful and children-suitable"
diagrams for the CXOs... >:->

TIA,

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller