How to suggest a new Python list? Was: Science list

J. Robertson jr244 at kent.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 10:31:34 EST 2007

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I was trying to suggest a more specific mail-list in order not to be floaded. I
> am the opinion that  python-list at python.org is very informative and useful,
> though it is hard to find the time for so many mails.
> f.

I agree with Francesco: Python is increasingly used in sciences (or, at
least, I use it increasingly :-) and it would be of some use to have a
communication channel focused on this: there are a few mailing lists for
specific niche topics (CAD, XML) already, so sciences could be one more.

There are mailing lists for numpy/scipy, f2py, VTK and the rest of it,
but nothing quite like what Francesco suggests, as far as I know.

Some folks that do not want to be flooded by 200 posts/day are going to
pop up there and explain how they replaced 60,000 lines of FORTRAN by
100 lines of Python in one afternoon (before the tea break), surely that
can't hurt.

Anyway, I do not see how to suggest a new mailing list on
http://www.python.org/community/lists/ - does anyone know?

cheers,
J.