Interfaces to high-volume discussion forums

Michael Spencer mahs at telcopartners.com
Fri Nov 30 14:36:44 EST 2007

Ben Finney wrote:

> I'm not interested in learning some centralised web-application
> interface, and far prefer the discussion forum to be available by a
> standard *protocol*, that I can use my choice of *local client*
> application with.

I agree:  I use Thunderbird, and it works well.  But I read NNTP newsgroups on
several devices, and I would really like to have the read-status synchronized
across them.

Can anyone recommend a solution that also synchronizes post read status?  If
Google Reader or something like it handled NNTP, I imagine I'd use it to achieve
this benefit.

Michael