Accessing a URL file Remotely

mcl mcl.office at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:13:59 EST 2007

I have been given a url of CSV file (http://hostname/dir/file.csv),
which when I put the full URL in a web browser shows the contents of
the file.

I want to be able to use the CSV module to read that file, which I
have successfully used with a local CSV file.

Any examples anywhere would be appreciated.

My basic research suggests URLLIB, but I can not find a suitable
example.

I do not understand what additional information, needs to be given to
the remote site in order for it to expose the contents of the file as
though I was reading it locally.

Do I need to copy it to my local machine or can I read it directly
from the remote site.

As you can probably tell, I have never done anything like this, so any
help will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Richard