What is Jython?

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 04:37:15 EDT 2007

On Nov 1, 6:54 am, saru... at gmail.com wrote:
> I would like to know more about Python and Jython?
> What is the difference between both of them?
> What is the future for Jython and which are the areas where it is
> used?

Jython is an implementation of Python for the Java VM. Currently it
stands as equivalent to Python v2.2, but progress has been rapidly
accelerating over the last year or so, and the next version will
probably be targeted at 2.5 AFAIK.

Jython also has access to all of the Java standard libraries (or any
Java libraries on the classpath for that matter.)

Jython is currently significantly slower than Python.

>From my experience Jython is most typically used as an embedded
extension/scripting language for Java applications in areas where
rapid development/change is required. This includes such areas as
scripting business logic, writing unit or functional tests etc. Take a
look at http://antroy.blogspot.com/2007/04/swing-testing-with-jython-and-jemmy.html
for an example of how I have successfully used Jython for Swing
testing. More information can be found on http://www.jython.org/Project/index.html

Cheers,

--
Ant.