Yet another database question, please

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Fri Nov 30 08:47:46 EST 2007

nmp a écrit :
> Hello to all. I am only just learning both Python and PyGTK (with Glade).
> I also need to learn how to use databases in my programs. My preliminary
> research leads me in the direction of SQLAlchemy, which seems to be what
> everybody else is using.

Since it's not quite clear from your question: SQLAlchemy is a pretty
good package, but you need still need to know SQL to use it effectively
(if it's your case, please forget this remark).

> So, does anyone have a good example that shows how to tie these things
> toegether? I would like to have the GUI dialogs and treeviews directly
> interacting with the underlying tables and/or views.
>
> [cough]Like Borland Delphi 1.0, in the nineties...[/cough]

 From experience (with Delphi, VB and a couple related but less known
systems), directly tying widgets to database is a pretty brittle
architecture for anything else than Q&D Simple Stupid GUI/DB pipelines.