AOP and pep 246

Paul Rubin http
Fri Nov 2 00:10:48 EDT 2007

"Rustom Mody" <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:
> On 11/1/07, Kay Schluehr <kay.schluehr at gmx.net> wrote:
> > AOP was a research that gone nowhere - at least not in its orginal
> > AspectJ form: declaring aspect code that targets business code...
> My own guess is that AOP via higher order functions and metaclasses
> will be more successful than via aspectj and code-generation.

I've never been able to figure out what AOP was supposed to mean.  I
once saw an explanation in terms of Haskell monads that made more
sense than the Java explanations, but I still didn't make sense of it.
Maybe something like it could be done with Python metaclasses.  Here's
a url that I quickly googled just now, though I don't think it's the
paper I remember reading some time ago:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/187310.html