Populating a dictionary, fast [SOLVED]

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Wed Nov 14 06:29:49 EST 2007

A Tuesday 13 November 2007, Steven D'Aprano escrigué:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:27:11 +0100, Francesc Altet wrote:
> > I don't know exactly why do you need a dictionary for keeping the
> > data, but in case you want ultra-fast access to values, there is no
> > replacement for keeping a sorted list of keys and a list with the
> > original indices to values, and the proper list of values.  Then,
> > to access a value, you only have to do a binary search on the
> > sorted list, another lookup in the original indices list and then
> > go straight to the value in the value list.  This should be the
> > faster approach I can think of.
>
> Maybe on Bizarro World, but not on Planet Earth.
>
> Searching a dict takes on average a constant amount of time,
> regardless of the key and the size of the dict. Because dicts are the
> basis of Python's namespaces, it is optimized up the wazoo, and being
> implemented in C it is extremely fast.
>
> Using your suggestion, to get a value: you have to do a binary search
> which is O(log N) instead of O(1), then ANOTHER lookup into a list of
> indices, and finally a THIRD lookup to actually retrieve the value --
> all implemented in relatively slow Python instead of fast C.

Well, the bisect module in Python is implemented in fast C.  Apart from
that, you are basically right, see below.

> And let's not even discuss the overhead of keeping these three lists
> synchronized.
>
> But don't take my word for it: measure for yourself. I'm not even
> going to attempt to code your suggestion, but here's how you measure
> the time it takes for dictionary lookup.
>

> # Create a dataset to search on.
> D = {}
> chars = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
> triplets = (a+b+c for a in chars for b in chars for c in chars)
> for i, s in enumerate(triplets):
>     D[s] = i  # D is of the form {'abc': 12345}
>
> # Now time a successful search for an arbitrary triplet.
> import timeit
> min(timeit.Timer("D['foo']", "from __main__ import D").repeat(6))
>

> On my PC, it takes about 0.2 seconds per million searches.

Oh yes.  All of you are right, guys.  I've implemented code (attached)
for measuring the lookup times using a a dictionary and using a binary
search approach (using numpy, mostly for space efficiency) and here are
my results:

$ python2.5 gq-dict.py
Creating the dictionary...
Time for dict creation: 89.115
Items in dict: 8191180
Timing queries...
Time for querying: 39.44

$ python2.5 gq-binary-search.py
Creating the lists...
Time for lists creation: 4.245
Sorting...
Time for sorting: 6.195
Timing queries...
Time for querying: 108.1

i.e. a dict approach proves to be almost 3x faster than a regular binary
search (5 us/lookup vs 13 us/lookup).

I think I've got messed on some benchmarks that I've done on that
subject some time ago, but either my memory is bad or I've made some
mistake on those experiments.  My apologies.

Cheers,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"