python as a static library with Visual Studio 2005

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:14:17 EST 2007

There doesn't seem to be any clear documentation on how to build python as a
static library using Visual Studio 2005. Everything builds, links, and runs
fine using python as a dll, but I get a ton of unresolved symbols using a
static library.

I defined Py_NO_ENABLE_SHARED=1 in the library project in
Python-2.5.1\PCBuild8, and changed the project type to "static library", and
set the output file to be python25.lib. If I try to link the included python
executable (which simply resolves the function Py_Main) to the static
library it complains about the symbol __imp__Py_Main being undefined. If I
link my application to the static library it complains about every symbol
that my code uses with "__imp__" prepended to each name, just as described
with __imp__Py_Main above.

Is there a straight forward way to compile the basic python interpreter as a
static library in Visual Studio 2005? Am I overlooking the documentation for
this??

Thanks in advance

--
Patrick Kidd Stinson