Extended date and time

Adam Pletcher adam at volition-inc.com
Sun Nov 11 09:43:05 EST 2007

The "time" module in the standard library does epoch, and conversions.

Get current local time in seconds since epoch (1970):

>>> import time
>>> now_secs = time.time()
>>> print now_secs
1194790069.33

Convert to a struct_time object for conversions:

>>> now_struct = time.localtime(now_secs)
>>> print now_struct
(2007, 11, 11, 8, 7, 49, 6, 315, 0)

Make it a readable string:

>>> now_string = time.strftime('%a %m/%d/%Y, %I:%M:%S %p', now_struct)
>>> print now_string
'Sun 11/11/2007, 08:07:49 AM'

Convert string back into a struct_time object, then seconds again:

>>> now_struct2 = time.strptime(now_string, '%a %m/%d/%Y, %I:%M:%S %p')
>>> print now_struct2
(2007, 11, 11, 8, 7, 49, 6, 315, -1)
>>> now2 = time.mktime(now_struct2)
>>> print now2
1194790069.0

... etc.  If you're starting the other direction, change the format string passed to strptime to match the pattern of your existing strings.  The standard docs for the time module has all the details.

- Adam