timing puzzle

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:56:51 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 12:42 PM, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get my head round a timing puzzle I find whilst optimizing A
> Kuchling's version of the Knuth line splitting algorithm from the oedipus
> project. The puzzle is as follows in highly abstract form (here
>   active_nodes is a list of objects kept in a sorted order, but there are no
> special methods on the objects for comparison etc)
>

>     for i in xrange(m):
>         for A in active_nodes[:]:
>            if cond:
>                active_nodes.remove(A)
>
> is slow my test takes 2.7 seconds; profiling reveals we're calling A.remove
> thousands of times and it's taking a lot of time. There appear to be no other
> usages of active_nodes in the for A loop.
>

> On a hunch I changed the above to
>
>      removed = []
>      aremoved = removed.append
>      for i in xrange(m):
>         for iA,A in enumerate(active_nodes):
>            if cond:
>                aremoved(iA)
>         if removed:
>             for iA in reversed(removed):
>                 del active_nodes[iA]
>                 del removed[:]
>
> this latter is 5 times faster, but I can't really see why. My only guess is that
>   appending to the removed list is relatively easy compared with deletes and the
> reverse order delete is somehow moving less data about. I think in the original
> Knuth the deletion would have been from some real kind of list and O(1) whereas
> here deletions are O(n/2) on average. On the other hand we have to keep this
> list in sorted order. What data structure should I be using? I should add that I
> tried using a __cmp__ method to assist in doing the sorted insert, but that
> interfered with the simple active_nodes.remove.
> --

remove() does a linear search to find the item to remove, so it's O(n)
+ the actual deletion. Append() is amortized O(1) (overcommit). If you
delete by index instead:
for idx, node in active_nodes:
  if cond:
    del active_nodes[idx]

You should see performance comparable to your second option. If you
can trade memory for performance, discarding the old active_nodes
might be even faster:
active_nodes = [node for node in active_nodes if node not in
deleted_nodes], where deleted_nodes is a set.

Normal micro-optimization techniques apply here too, like looking up
the remove() method ahead of time and so on.