VB6 frontend GUI with Python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Nov 20 04:48:28 EST 2007

Claire Blair wrote:

> I am trying to write a VB6 (not VB.Net) application that has a console
> window that allows Python command to be typed at the prompt.
>
> The idea is so that, I can have full Python scripting from within my
> application. I should be able to type commands from a Python script
> (include import etc, so I can use other Python libraries). In other
> words, I want to provide a complete (or almost complete) interactive
> Python Scripting environment from within my application - so that I
> enter commands in the VB6 console, and I get the (text) results
> displayed in my VB6 console, and in the case of a graphic output (let
> say I am importing wxPython for graphing functionality), I would have
> the graph display after I have typed my command in my VB6 console.
>
> My initial route was to try to embed the Python interpreter, using BOOST
> Python, writing a Win32 DLL around that and then calling the functions
> from VB6. But I had various problems with that approach - so I am now
> looking to use a Python COM server approach (although I would have
> preferred not to touch COM).
>
> I have done a lot of Googling and research online - but I can't find
> anything remotely useful, taht shows me how to do what I want to do. If
> anyone has done something similar to what I am trying to do, or knows of
> any links that may show me how to do provide a VB6 frontend GUI (i.e.
> console) fo ruse with Python, I will be very grateful.

You keep talking about "a console", but OTOH you want to use wxPython -
which clearly is not console, but GUI. So I'm not really sure what you are
after.

It might be possible to make wx render into a given window-handle.

But may I ask: what is the reason for using VB at all? Why not do the
GUI-frontend in wxPython?

Diez