Python too complex ?!?!?!

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Nov 19 12:47:37 EST 2007

alain schrieb:
> On Nov 19, 9:44 am, Kay Schluehr <kay.schlu... at gmx.net> wrote:
>> On 17 Nov., 14:46, Brian <not_here at no_where.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Had a unsettling conversation with a CS instructor that
>>> teaches at local high schools and the community
>>> college. This person is a long-term Linux/C/Python
>>> programmer, but he claims that the install, config, and
>>> library models for C# have proved to be less
>>> problematic than Python. So both his courses (intro,
>>> data structs, algorithms) are taught in C#.
>> I don't understand this complaint. How does your instructor installs
>> libraries for C#? When he uses Linux for teaching purposes I assume
>> his students have little problems typing some shell commands and when
>> he uses Windows his students might feel comfortable double clicking on
>> a Windows installer - most likely containing prepackaged binaries.
>> What have I missed?
>>
>> Kay
>
> I think i understand his complaint.
> Have you ever tried to install a package making use of easy_install?
> If you have, then you understand this is a real pain in the ass,
> especially if your internet access requires proxy authentication.
> The world was easy before easy_install !

setuptools might not be flawless, but it works for me most of the times
- and always better than pure distutils.

BTW, you can download eggs and install them from files - so while
teaching easy_install how to deal with proxies (are these still used by
anyone - I thought that was in the 90ties... ) certainly would be good,
it isn't necessary.

Diez