Movement recognition in video file

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Nov 15 09:35:20 EST 2007

mindmaster32 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a python tool or module that helps me build a script
> that can perceive object moves in a video file captured by a (web)
> camera. My main goal is to be able to count people entering a store
> using the store's surveillance camera.
>
> I know of some packages like Eyesweb (gestural recognition package) or
> Pure Data's module called GEM, but I don't know any written in python.

These kinds of tasks require massive computational efforts and thus usually
are the domain of more performant languages - like C.

A great library for that is Intel's OpenCV. And incidentially Gary Bishop
has some nice ctypes-bindings for OpenCV.

http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~gb/wp/blog/2007/02/04/python-opencv-wrapper-using-ctypes/

Diez