LaTeX tutorial updated [OT]

Wayne Brehaut wbrehaut at mcsnet.ca
Wed Nov 7 15:47:45 EST 2007

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:00:12 -0800, John DeRosa <stugots at qwest.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:23:56 +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG <bh at izb.knu.ac.kr>
>wrote:

>My understanding is that the correct nomenclature is, "Master's
>thesis," and, "PhD dissertation."

This may be more common usage in some regions, but "thesis" is more
general and quite correct in either case, as the following indicate.

===

Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus (http://www.visualthesaurus.com/):

exposition
a systematic interpretation or explanation (usually written) of a
given topic; an account that sets forth the meaning or intent of a
writing or discourse

treatise
a formal exposition

thesis
dissertation
a treatise advancing a new point of view resulting from research;
usually a requirement for an advanced academic degree

===
Oxford Refernce Online--requires subscription
(http://0-www.oxfordreference.com.aupac.lib.athabascau.ca/views/GLOBAL.html):

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms:
thesis
an argument  or proposition, which may be opposed by an antithesis ;
or a scholarly essay defending some proposition, usually a
dissertation submitted for an academic degree.

---

Pocket Fowler's Modern English Usage
thesis
meaning ‘a dissertation’, has the plural form theses , pronounced thee
-seez .

---

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology:
thesis
proposition, theme XVI ; (theme of) a dissertation XVII .
===

Merriam-Webster Online (http://www.m-w.com/):

thesis
4: a dissertation embodying results of original research and
especially substantiating a specific view; especially : one written by
a candidate for an academic degree

dissertation
an extended usually written treatment of a subject; specifically : one
submitted for a doctorate

===

HTH?
wwwayne