Python web frameworks

Frank Miles fpm at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 20 11:04:44 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, joe jacob wrote:

> There are a lot of web frameworks for python like django, mod_python,
> spyce, turbo gears, Zope, Cherrypy etc. Which one is the best in terms
> of performance and ease of study.

Personally I found zope/plone to be very much its own enormously complex world.
Performance was quite sluggish on a less-than-state-of-the-art computer.  Part
of my problem was that my particular job didn't really fit with the particular
viewpoint (way of handling data) implicit in these programs.  This might not
be the case for you - you'll have to evaluate that for yourself.

In the end I went with Django (hosted by mod_python/apache).  Django thankfully
doesn't require that you use their "admin" as the access point for normal users,
though that means it will take more time and thought.  It's still comparatively
flexible and straightforward in comparison to zope/plone.  There are a few things
that I am not 100% satisifed with, but overall I have found django to be very
adaptible to my particular needs.  All this despite the fact that this is a
pretty minor part of my work - I am pretty much a newby at developing for the web.

BTW the book - while still apparently not fully completed - is available for
free on the 'net.

 	-f