Troubleshooting garbage collection issues

davemerkel at gmail.com davemerkel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:08:06 EST 2007

Thanks for the thoughts - much appreciated!  The threaded super-goat
was indeed the offender.  A very aggressive QA tester got us enough of
a pattern to identify the offending module: pyOpenSSL.  After looking
at it closely, we found there are problems with its thread handling.
In particular, the GIL is not properly locked when manipulating
reference counts and also, in once case, when creating a new python
object.  Once we cleaned that up we were unable to reproduce the
problem.

We'll post the fixes back to the pyOpenSSL folks shortly.

Thanks again!

Dave