Python for embedded devices?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Nov 19 15:47:07 EST 2007

On 2007-11-19, Malte Forkel <malte.forkel at berlin.de> wrote:

> I would like to use Python on a router, an Edimax BR-6104K,
> running OpenWrt (http://www.openwrt.org). While I probably
> won't need most of the fancier stuff in Python, serial I/O and
> threads should be supported.
>
> The router is based on the ADM5120P, has 2MB of flash and 16MB
> of RAM, so the version of Python 2.5.1 that is part of OpenWrt
> is probably a litte to big.

Once upon a time there was a project called "deeply embedded
python" that consisted of a drastically stripped down version
of 1.5.1 that was intended to run on things like old PDAs
running PalmOS.  That project has been dormant for quite a
while, but it's the only thing I know of that might be relevant.

http://www.tucs.fi/magazin/output.php?ID=2000.N2.LilDeEmPy
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/1999-August/000157.html

I'm not sure if those two links refer to the a same project
or not...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! What a COINCIDENCE!
                                  at               I'm an authorized "SNOOTS