regular expression syntax the same in Python, Perl and grep?

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Wed Nov 7 14:44:24 EST 2007

2007/11/7, Chris Mellon <arkanes at gmail.com>:
> On Nov 7, 2007 12:11 PM, seberino at spawar.navy.mil
> <seberino at spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> > How similar is Python's re module (regular expressions) compared
> > to Perl's and grep's regular expression syntaxes?
> >

> Somewhat.
>
> > I really hope regular expression syntax is sufficiently standardized
> > that
> > we don't have to learn new dialects everytime we move from one
> > language or shell command to another.

I forgot where I read that so can't back it up but:

"Unices are just a collection of different dialects of regex"

I think the same is true for about every implementation of regex you
can find. In theory it _should_ be same.

Then again, so should SQL but I bet that it's actually quite hard to
find a single statement that you can literally execute it on all DB
servers (major ones).

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours