Retrieving all open applications ...

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Nov 7 17:25:06 EST 2007

On 7 Nov, 21:33, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Wed, 07 Nov 2007 06:36:49 -0300, Ajay Deshpande
> <garlictrom... at gmail.com> escribió:
>
> > well i still havent found a solution to this ... since i am using ubuntu
> > 7.10, i cannot use the hammond modules ...
>
> As you said "list of window handles" I thought you were working on Windows.
> Try with: man ps
> Use the subprocess module to call ps with your desired options.

Something like xlsclients might do the job. For more information on
each window, try xwininfo with the -name option; something like this:

  xwininfo -name 'Mail - Kontact'

The xprop program can provide plenty more detail, and both programs
accept a -root option to refer to the root window instead of a named
window.

Paul