Using python as primary language

Michael Bacarella mbac at gpshopper.com
Thu Nov 8 14:09:54 EST 2007

> In our company we are looking for one language to be used as default
> language. So far Python looks like a good choice (slacking behind
> Java). A few requirements that the language should be able cope with
> are:

How do you feel about multithreading support?

A multithreaded application in Python will only use a single CPU on
multi-CPU machines due to big interpreter lock, whereas the "right thing"
happens in Java.

This can be worked around with fork() and shared memory but it certainly
surprised us to learn this.