VB6 frontend GUI with Python

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Nov 20 06:28:16 EST 2007

> Simple. its because my main application (the GUI that is), is written in
> VB6. I have  a MDI application (i.e. many child windows in the same
> application), and I want to use one of these windows as a console to
> inteactively type Python commands. If I were to use wxPython, I would
> not be able to treat the console 'the same' as the other child windows
> in the application (i.e. minimize, close all etc). Maybe a simpler way
> to think of this is to imagine that I am writing a PythonWin clone in
> VB6. What I am asking here, is how can I create the 'Interactive Window' ?

Your asking for more. Your asking for the interactive window (which
shouldn't be too hard, just using subprocess and somehow attaching
stdin/stdout - there should be code that does that) AND you are asking for
integration of GUI. Which is much more complicated. I'm not a windows guru,
but at least you need a way to communicate a window-handle to some
background thread or so of the python interpreter, which will be used to
render the plot. But that of course implies that the various plotting libs
are somehow capable of doing so.

I know that for example under X-windwow, you can "capture" one window and
display it as part of another. If there exists something like that in
Windwos, a way to shell various applications, that would help you.

Apart from that the only thing that comes to my mind is an ActiveX-control,
but even there I'm ont sure how event-loops and stuff behave.

All in all - an integration hell....

Diez