Getting name of control under mouse in Windows?

Shane Clark shanesclark at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:16:25 EST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to get my python app to output the name of the control under the mouse each time it is clicked. Currently, I am trying to do this with a combination of pyhook and pyAA, but pyAA gives me "pyAA.Error: -2147417843" for almost any control in Microsoft Office apps, for example. If it matters, I am trying to retrieve the control's name based on the mouse position coordinates.

Any ideas what is going wrong here? I looked into switching to comtypes briefly, but it is still undocumented and I cannot find useful examples for it thus far. I apologize if this was the wrong place to ask for help, but I did not find a more pertinent mailing list.

Thanks,
-Shane