Web update library in python?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Tue Nov 20 10:05:12 EST 2007

Jorgen Bodde wrote:
> There are two roles:
>
> Repository maintainer:
> -----
> - Developer of the 'repository' creates a snapshot
> - This archive is uploaded on his private site
> - A file that accompanies the archive containing the list of
> updates is sent last
>
> Repository updater:
> -----
> - Downloads the accompanying file
> - If the accompanying file is valid (I agree upon uploading this
> small file can be downloaded, but since it is a small text file I
> would not consider this a huge risk)
> - Downloads the archive that was put there earlier

Still, subversion would let you accomplish this. Also I wonder where
you'd like to save state information in downloaded copies -- that's
what subversion does in .svn directories. You have to save the
state to update economically.

> It might not be a 100% secure methodology, but I won't claim I get
> thousands of hits per hour to begin with,

Do you mean "security" or "reliability"?

> But I guess I am defending my way of solving the issue while the
> main question was if there was anything remotely similar to what I
> would need, besides using SVN that is ;-)

I don't really understand this.

Regards,

Björn

--