private data stashed in local/global execution context of PyEval_EvalCode disappears down the execution stack

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:31:17 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 3:18 PM,  <sndive at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 5:36 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> > En Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:25:17 -0300, <snd... at gmail.com> escribió:

> > One should make a lot of assumptions about your code because it's not
> > complete. Please post a minimal complete example showing your problem.
> >
> It's a rather large program. My assumption was that just posting the
> snippet around the call site and the callee pathetic attempt
> to extract interp would be sufficient :(

The creation of a minimal runnable sample is a fantastic way to find
any bugs in your code, and has the benefit of (if the bug is not in
your code) giving other people a simple way to recreate the bug. If I
were to check this (and I'm not, but I would if you'd posted runnable
code) I'll have to write the code myself from your textual
description. Then, if the code works, I'll have to post the code that
I wrote as well as my negative response, and go through several back
and forths trying to isolate any differences between what I wrote and
what you wrote but didn't show. That's way more work than I'm willing
to do to solve someone else's problem.

In my experience, creating a minimal sample that demonstrates the bug
will lead you to the actual bug more than half the time. That's a lot
of time (yours and other peoples) that can be saved if you do it.