AOP and pep 246

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:17:34 EDT 2007

I find these viewpoints interesting in their divergence.  At the risk
of being simplistic:

Kay: AOP == AspectJ or thereabouts. A failure in itself and
uninteresting to pythonistas

Michele: AOP not very interesting though does good work himself in
decorators, metaclasses and other such AOPish stuff
Carl: Aspect == something (anything?) cognitively coherent. AOP
(rather AAP) means: When a language feature supports an aspect use it,
when not wriggle round it. Python requires less wriggling than java.
A powerful conceptual viewpoint but unhelpful to the developer...

My own feeling: Python is more AOP ready than java. So lighter-weight
techniques like Michele's decorator should go further.  But
methodology not yet formulated.